Sunday, August 28, 2011

Eye Of The Storm

Hurricane Irene has come and gone and thankfully, we are safe.  I purchased extra drinking water and dry food stuffs for just in case we would be without power for a time.  The grocery store was full of people but all seemed calm and patient as the aisles were crowded with carts and the shelves were emptying.  It was nice that upon check out, nearly all the lanes were open, making for a swift exit of the store.  Cesar thought I and everyone else at the market were silly.  I was happy to be safe rather than sorry later on.

We woke Sunday morning to a steady, pouring rain.  And it rained, and it rained, and it rained.  And then we all took naps, except for Hugo who opted to watch a movie on Netflix.  I slept deep and hard, hardly knowing who or where I was upon waking.  It was surprising to discover that the rain had stopped, that I could actually see some blue sky and sunlight!  We all ate and dressed and were about to jump in the van to tour the flooding when Evie the Cat brought a baby squirrel into the house.  He was alive and young, his eyes were still shut, so he was wrapped in a tea towel and rode along with us to survey the village.

The pics I'm sharing are of the dam and beach front on the Esopus, which opens right into the Hudson River.    Debris of all sorts was in the water and it was moving very fast.  As we drove down to the waterfront worried faces were abundant, I began to regret our decision to view these strangers, our village neighbors, hardship.  Cars were everywhere.  We were caught up in a viewing spectacle parade.

Driving towards the Big Deep we decided to turn around and head home.  The sky looked wrong and soon, tiny rain drops covered the windshield.  As we gathered all our chicks indoors the wind came up again.  I'd thought we were home free of the storm, but was wrong.  This bottom part of the storm held high winds which made our power flicker and cable go out.  I had a pork loin in the oven and had all my finger and toes crossed that the power would hold till it's baking was finished.  I watched out the kitchen windows as our cedars bent eastward in the wind.  I was too afraid to look at the pines.

Dinner completed it's cooking and was devoured by the five of us.  No baths tonight, just pajamas and shooshas for the girls.  Cesar read and snuggled with Hugo while I cleaned up the dining room and kitchen.  After watching a Chinese movie together we climbed into bed (with Ira the Squirrel) and hoped for the best for our trees.

1 comment:

Audra said...

Scary Scary! I was thinking about your family the whole time. Glad you weathered the storm. Those are some amazing pictures.