Wednesday, November 17, 2010

November's RS Message


I've only now, in the middle of the month, read the Relief Society Message which is Personal Revelation by Sister Julie Beck, General Relief Society President.  Have you read it?  It is beautiful.  It spoke to my heart and was something I needed to read and ponder over.

This is how it begins:  A good woman knows that she does not have enough time, energy, or opportunity to take care of all of the people or do all of the worthy things her heart yearns to do.  Life is not calm for most women, and each day seems to require the accomplishment of a million things, most of which are important.  A good woman must constantly resist alluring and deceptive messages from many sources telling her that she is entitled to more time away from her responsibilities and that she deserves a life of greater ease and independence.

Yes, yes, yes.  I take on too much.  Or should I say, I create far too many grand plans in my mind for myself to possibly complete in one day.  In the end, I feel weighed down and frozen in place without much accomplished.   Not good.  Not a good place to lead myself into. 

I don't wish for a life of greater ease or independence.  I do wish for a date with my husband once in a while.  Some alone time with him would do me, which translates into us, greatly.

But with personal revelation, she can prioritize correctly and navigate this life confidently.  The ability to qualify for, receive, and act on personal revelation is the single most important skill that can be acquired in this life.  Qualifying for the Lord's Spirit begins with a desire for that Spirit and implies a certain degree of worthiness.  Keeping the commandments, repenting, and renewing covenants made at baptism lead to the blessing of always having the Lord's Spirit with us.

What I wouldn't give to confidently navigate this life of mine.  It sounds so easy in this last paragraph.  How have I not been spiritually paying attention for the past 25 years?  I wonder sometimes how I continually stand in the way of myself succeeding.  How I manage so well to throw up road blocks and blinders to the obvious path before me?

Making and keeping temple covenants also adds spiritual strength and power to a woman's life.  Many answers to difficult questions are found by reading the scriptures because the scriptures are an aid to revelation.  Insight found in scripture accumulates over time, so it is important to spend some time in the scriptures every day.  Daily prayer is also essential to having the Lord's Spirit with us.  Those who earnestly seek help through prayer and scripture study often have a paper and pencil nearby to write questions and record impressions and ideas.  Revelation can come hour by hour and moment by moment as we do the right things.

It is true that I have neglected my scriptures.  Once upon a time, I did read and I did study.  I kept a notebook nearby and would get lost in my reading and study until deep in the night on occasion.  I remember how exciting it could be.  I remember how happy I felt.  I remember knowing which books were where and in what order!

When women nurture as Christ nurtured, a power and peace can descend to guide when help is needed.  For instance, mothers can feel help from the Spirit even when tired, noisy children are clamoring for attention, but they can be distanced from the Spirit if they lose their temper with children.  Being in the right places allows us to receive guidance.  It requires a conscious effort to diminish distractions, but having the Spirit of revelation makes it possible to prevail over opposition and persist in faith through difficult days and essential routine tasks.  Personal revelation gives us the understanding of what to do every day to increase faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and seek those who need our help.  Becasue personal revelation is a constantly renewable source of strength, it is possible to feel bathed in help even during turbulent times.  We are told to put our trust in that Spirit which leads us "to do justly, to walk humbly, to judge righteously."  We are also told that this Spirit will enlighten our minds, fill our souls with joy, and help us know all things we should do.  Promised personal revelation comes when we ask for it, and go forward in faith, trusting that it will be poured out upon us.

All I can think of is that New Year's is quickly approaching.  I have never, ever made one single New Year's Resolution in my life.  Not one.  This year is going to be different and I mean to take it all seriously.  I want this coming year of 2011 to find a fresher, happier, more fulfilled me at the end of it.  I want to draw nearer to the Lord.  I know that He is always there for me.  That any distance there might be between us, is due solely to my turning away, to my burying my head in the not so spiritual sand of life.  I'm a mother of three beautiful children who look to me for, everything.  I need to be better for them.  I need to be my better self for my marriage, for my husband, for myself.

I will need the Spirit's power and peace to descend upon me, to guide me when I need help to stay on track.

And boy am I happy to hear that personal revelation is a constantly renewable source of strength.  That I can feel bathed in help when I need it most if I but put my trust in the Spirit, diminish distractions and ask for help.

This message was for me.  I am thankful that I read it.  I don't always do so.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: