Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Small Things

I gathered up trash from around the house this morning and tied it up neatly into bags by the front door. It was cold today, a whopping 20 degrees in the sunshine. Even though the garbage cans are just around the corner from the front door I needed to dress up like the Abominable Snowman for my short jaunt. With parka, boots up to my knees, scarf, mittens and hat all donned, I bent down and gathered up the plastic bag tops into one hand and opened and shut the front door behind me with the other. I took three steps, or so, straight ahead, turned to my left and was about to take a step down which would lead me on a short path alongside the house to the trash cans when I froze.

There they were.

Some creatures foot prints in the deep snow. I think it must have been a rabbit, but I'm not sure. I'm no animal track master. I surprised myself that I was able to stop so quickly when my body was simply rolling with the motions and my mind had been off on who knows which cloud, well, I know, but I'm not telling!

I stood there for quite a few minutes and just admired those tracks. Some little Peter Cottontail was brave and bold and had ventured close to our door and left a cute calling card for me. The tracks brought a smile to my face and offered up happiness along with a moment for reflection upon the little blessings which are all around us and which are so very easy to miss.

2 comments:

Roxi and Ephraim's Family said...

I don't know how I missed all of your posts from Millie's, but I found them, and thanks. Cool photos! Daphne is wondering why we didn't go to California too.

Hey Harriet said...

What a cute find! Bunny tracks! I wonder how it is that animals don't freeze in the snow. It must be so very cold on their little feet/paws. I guess they adapt to situations better than us humans! Hey it would be so cool if you could train your bunny buddy to do the garbage runs for you :)

On a totally unrelated topic, I've had trouble leaving a comment here. I've been having issues with leaving coments on blogs that have more than 10 posts per page. Especially if they have a lot of pics. The earlier posts don't load for ages and the comment box will not open until everything has completed loading. It's only been happening since I changed my internet browser from IE to firefox. Very weird. And annoying! If I have probs in the future I can at least visit your blog from work. We still use IE there :)