Saturday, June 27, 2009

Our Bed

Early this morning I was having trouble sleeping. The alarm clock read 5:47 am and I was awake. I clamped my eyes shut tight and brought the covers higher up around my shoulders. I tried my best to block out the singing birds, Cesar's heavy breathing, my racing mind and hungry tummy - which just wouldn't stop dreaming of blueberry pancakes. I almost made it to never never land when I heard an unmistakable sound. It was a thud really. Just as my feet hit the floor I heard a little cry along with my name. Hugo had fallen out of bed. When I entered his room I was surprised to find him already sitting on the edge of his bed. He looked at me with big, sleepy eyeballs. As I hugged him he wrapped his arms and legs around me in his monkey pose. Sucker me carried him back to our bed. If the hour had been even a smidgen of a wee bit earlier and the sun not so noticeable, I would have tucked him back under his own sheets, promise. I was simply awake you see and wanted a snuggle with our beautiful boy. Trouble was, Hugo only wanted to snuggle with Poppa. So there I lay under my covers once more listening to the birds singing their little hearts out, Cesar's heavy breathing (I swear he didn't hear or notice a thing!), with my mind racing, tummy dreaming and Hugo snuggling. Peace and sleep at last... Then Evie the cat began to yowel, purr and rub her fluffy fur all over my face in anticipation that I would get up and let her outside. Goodness! I decided to try my luck at solitaire on my phone but first paused a moment to admire the scene in my bed. Then quickly and silently snapped this shot of Hugo and his Poppa, all sleepily content together. Couldn't resist. Oh, and by the way, I did make those blueberry pancakes which my tummy had been so hungrily dreaming after!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You will treasure this photograph. It's really special. Hugs to you all.

Alissa Nicolau said...

Thank you for your kind words Ms Sphinx.